Services available to faculty, staff and researchers
• OneDrive for Business offers faculty and staff secure storage and collaboration for individuals and may be used for online file access and secure file sharing for levels 1, 2 and 3 data. External sharing of files to non-Harvard faculty and staff is available with OneDrive.
• SharePoint and Groups is a place for teams, and workgroups to securely store, organize, share, and access information and projects online. External sharing of files to non-Harvard faculty and staff is available with SharePoint (non-level 4 sites) and Groups. SharePoint has support for level 4 data, through the elimination of external sharing and local synching of files.
• Accellion Kiteworks offers secure, encrypted file exchange for files containing level 4 data, and for special and very large file types.
Additional services available for faculty and academic use
• Harvard Dropbox provides secure storage for levels 1, 2, and 3 data, file share and sync services for faculty and researchers who already use consumer Dropbox accounts for their work at Harvard or have the need to share files external to Harvard. Dropbox specifically is targeted for faculty and researchers with strong external collaboration requirements, whereby colleagues from different organizations external to Harvard have the need to be part of a collaboration team, and often have international members.
• Google Drive is available to the FAS and SEAS faculty for file storage and sharing for levels 1, 2, and 3 data, with a need for co-editing capabilities.
The following service comparison chart and use case examples are available to highlight features and functionality across the File Storage and Share tool sets, as well as to help guide your choice for tool selection.
To review Harvard’s University Information Security Policies and Data Classification levels visit: https://policy.security.harvard.edu/.|
1 Google Drive file storage limits may vary depending on file type. Click here for more details.
2 15 Days for files under 4GB in size, 5 Days for files above 4GB in size.
3 Included with an O365 license.
4 SharePoint secured for Level 4 data does not allow external file sharing
Harvard File Storage and Share Sample Use Cases for Levels 1, 2, and 3 Data
* Harvard Google Drive is an option for the FAS and SEAS faculty.
** Check with your local school helpdesk for Dropbox availability and eligibility.
Harvard File Storage and Share Sample Use Cases for Level 4 Data
*Please see HUIT Security guidance on Level 4 data storage and sharing: https://policy.security.harvard.edu/level-4.
To download a printable .pdf copy of this document click the PDF link below.